Sunday, June 12, 2011

Clarion UCSD Write-A-Thon


What: Like a walk-a-thon, a write-a-thon has participants set certain goals that will tax their abilities and ask others to sponsor them for a good cause.

Who: Me, and hopefully 99 other writers. At the moment there are only 35 total, so you should go join! They'll take anyone who loves to write and is willing to put in the time and effort.

Why: This allows underprivileged young writers who show speculative fiction writing promise to attend a workshop to hone their skills under great instructors. I have had the benefit of lovely creative writing teachers, mentors, and resources. Not everyone has. Also, Neil Gaiman put an announcement on Twitter about it, and when I replied saying I joined, he thanked me personally and donated $50 to get me started. I nearly died of squee. There are drawings for prizes for both participants and donors, but if that's the only reward I get I will still be thrilled.


How: I will be posting 750 words a day from June 26 to August 1 on this very blog. If my gentle readers are willing, I would love to raise at least $150 this year, though of course more would be great. There is a donation button on my page. They take PayPal and are fully tax-deductible.

The 300-for-30 challenge will be put on hold for the duration of the Write-A-Thon, but since you'll be getting even more from me, I doubt there will be complaints. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment