Sunday, November 6, 2011

Persona Poem for Creative Writing

My therapist said they are delusions,

these ghosts that I believe haunt me

and that the “names” I hear whispered

are merely a child’s way of labeling the unknown.

Still, I cannot stop running, cramming my mouth

full of yellow cupcakes and fruit, yet never feeling full,

all food in sight devoured, making myself sick,

to calm me, to help me buffer the dread, give me fuel

to escape, to fly from them, the four neon ghosts

that meander through the maze of my life.

My wife suffers just as I;

differentiated only by clothing, not fate -

(she’s worn the same bow in her hair for longer than I can remember)

our estrangement from dual anguish tearing us apart,

even as our perditions are so similar.

We are trapped in our own labyrinths of darkness

trying to escape our personal hells, our Minotaurs,

our four private Horsemen of our own Apocalypse:

Inky, Binky, Pinky, and Clyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment