Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bird by Bird: A Recommendation


Just read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott - got it on Kindle and devoured it in between the chunks of other urgent things to do over two days - and I can see why so many people love it. For one thing, I have resolved to follow her challenge of writing 300 words a day for 30 days while I try to figure out what novel I'm doing after Seasons Four Open the Door, as I currently have no idea except for the neat title that's been bouncing around in my head for a couple years now.

Even if it doesn't galvanize you to any sort of action, though, this is a friendly, wry, clever, eminently lovable book about writing and healing the self. The chapter on how being published, though a valuable thing, does not solve all your problems, rung especially true for me. Before I was published all I wanted was to be published. Now I long for a bigger publisher. Then after that I'll probably yearn to go on talk shows. And so on. It never ends.

The book is a real treat. I give it all the stars allowed.


No comments:

Post a Comment