Friday, July 16, 2010

Interview with Richard Jones





What is A Mountain Romance about?


It’s a traditional love story set in the old west of the 1880’s. A lonely cowboy, Red Holden, rescues a strong willed woman, Mattie Sharp, lost on the prairie and sparks fly. Mattie is determined to stay with Red until they reach a good sized town. Red, however, is on his way to the mountains to do some trapping and is equally determined to get rid of her as soon as possible. Add trouble with the cavalry, a dangerous outlaw and a friendly ghost and you have Mountain Romance.



Could you give me a short sample passage?



I don’t need any help,” she told him.


“Never thought you did, ma’am,” he said as once again he lifted her in his arms. But this time he hesitated before putting her onto the Appaloosa’s back and looked into her eyes.


Mattie could feel her body warming to his touch and her heart beating wildly in her chest. Whether it be fear, exhaustion, or confusion she didn’t know, but she felt safe in this man’s arms. Safer than she’d felt in a very long time. A moment later, Red gently placed her onto the horse and walked quietly to his mustang.



Who do you consider your writing influences?


Louis L’Amour, [Sir] Arthur Conan Doyle, Tony Hillerman, Agatha Christie



Where are you from?


I was born in New Orleans, but I’ve lived in Phoenix, AZ, Covington, LA, Columbia, SC and now Nashville, TN.



How experienced are you as an author/how old are you?


I’ve been writing most of my life and if I had a nickel for every rejection slip I ever got I could’ve retired at 30. I had my first short mystery published about ten years ago and have been writing them ever since. Mountain Romance is my first romance.


I’ll be 64 years old in October which is somewhere between dirty old man and forgetting my name.



Is there anything else about you that you'd like readers to know?


I spent three years in the US Navy driving ships for Uncle Sam. I’ve worked as a salesman, adjudicator, mechanic, manager, cashier, customer service representative and a teacher of sixth grade Social Studies and Science. I'm also a professional daydreamer. I daydreamed my way through high school and college and still don't know how I graduated.



If I lived in a enormous mansion where you were welcome to stay, what would you prefer your guestroom to be like?


I’ve always been fascinated by those old English mansions built in the 1600’s. I’d like a huge four poster bed, plush leather chairs, a small desk, book case with shelves full and old wood paneling. Oh yes, and huge floor to ceiling windows that look out onto a misty moor.



What a nice gentleman. Don't you just wanna buy his book? Look at him. How can you say no to that face?


The link above will take you straight to Amazon Kindle, from which you can easily also find the paperback version if that's your preference.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rich,
    Love the age comment. lol. So true. I do love westerns, in fact I'm in the midst of writing one now. I may have to look you up for research. Just kidding, I think.
    Your story looks great and I can't wait to read it.
    Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,

    Great interview and blurb! Your Mountain Romance sounds like a wonderful read!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do either of you ladies have a novel you'd like me to spotlight? Everything PG-13 and other is welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Richard! Like your guest room notion.

    ReplyDelete