Tuesday, August 9, 2011

All's Well That Ends Well

The greatest short story I ever wrote, "Phantom Limbs", has had difficulty finding a home. I sent it first to Aoife's Kiss, a magazine where I had my first story ever published back in 2007. The reply back, from editor Tyree Campbell, was the most enthusiastic response I have ever received, including the phase "oh absolutely, gobsmacking yes!"

However, he suggested that I try sending it to a bunch of publications that could pay me higher rates and give me more prestige, listing them for me. I tried each one in succession, a process of many months. Eventually I went back to him and said he could have it.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Finally, earlier this week, more than a year after our communication, he found me again! I had slipped through the cracks of his busy life. He wanted to know if the story was still available.

Upshot: at some point in the next few months, depending on where he finds a slot, I will be published in Aoife's Kiss and receive $15. Even better, I have a friend in the industry again.


1 comment:

  1. Donaya,

    You don't know me. I read your "Phantom Limbs" this morning. I am pleased to have you with me in the last 2011 issue of Shelter of Daylight. I am happy they printed my story "The Earth Invades Mars."

    Your character Rain is someone I can somewhat identify with as she is independent and stoic and kind of likable.Great story.

    I hope my story will be bring attention to yours as I am sure yours will do for mine.

    All the best,

    Glen Stripling

    ReplyDelete